Oversize Tire Warnings
Oversized tires will ruin a transmission
- One day somebody somewhere saw a vehicle in a rock climbing competition with big, Oversized tires and said “cool, I want those on my truck”. That person did not understand that the drivetrain on that vehicle was set up to handle those Oversized tires for a specific purpose. Theywere not meant for everyday highway and city driving. Never the less, a trend was created alongwith a lot of drivetrain damage.
- Oversized tires change the gear ratio of the transmission. This effects shift patterns and TCC; Torque Converter Clutch apply time. They can put extreme stress on the transmission Input and Output shafts that they break or strip causing it to stop pulling. Oversized tires prematurely burn frictions or tear the teeth off of them causing the transmission to slip.
- Oversized tires also prevent proper operation of the vehicles ABS; Antilock Brake System – TCS; Traction Control System and Steering system. These are all part of the Stabilitrak system which was designed to keep the passengers of the vehicle safe in emergency situations.
- If Oversized tires are on a vehicle, the differentials will need to be regeared in order to prevent damage to the transmission and keep the stabilitrak working properly. We recommend no morethan 32 inch tall tires on a 4 speed and no more than 33 inch tall tires on a 6 – 10 speed transmission before needing to re gear the differentials.
- Click on the link to find out more and to find calculation information that will help you determine what differential gear ratio is best for your size tires.